This is where I plan on posting stories, updates, etc., for friends and family and whoever else might be interested in Our Little Family's Adventures in Japan.

30 September 2005

They're Here! They're finally here!

They came flying in from Mineanapolis and arriving at Narita, Japan with a delay of 30min and a baggage claim/customes clearance of an hour. I had been waiting at the airport for over two hours by the time I saw them. I had been debating whether I should run towards them as they came through the little door, crushing all the innocent bystanders as I went on a rampage to get to them, and then embrace them as onlookers cheered; or to play it a little more conservative and wait until they made it to me as I held a little handmade welcome sign. I had decided to make a scene until after an hour had passed, and then I made the little sign, it read: "Yokoso Nihhon e" or welcome to Japan "Wifey, Summy, and baby Ammon."

When I first saw Summer she looked lost, and tired, and she was carting more luggage then I saw entire Japanese families carrying. I hollered "Sum! Over here!" and then saw Monica with Ammon strapped to her as she pushed the stroller with more luggage in it, followed by an airport worker who was pushing a second big cart, as full as the first. Monica looked so different to me, she had cut her hair, lost weight since I'd seen her last, and was carrying a little boy who I only vaguely recognize from my memories of him at two weeks old and from the pictures that I've cherrished so much these past two months.
I was stopped in my path and the only thing I could say was "uhh, Over here!" and when they saw me they gave me weird looks and made their way over towards me. I gave Summer a hug, Monica a kiss, and rubbed Ammon's cheek. Then they told me they barely recognized me! I guess something happens to people as they get accustomed to life in a foreign land.

They are here, they are happy, they love the appartment, and they loved the ramen shop we went to last night. Ammon has been fussy, but I think that it is probably difficult for him to be among so few recognizable sights, sounds, smells and people (including me). We made friends this morning though, and he smiled and kooed for me as his mommy took a bath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home