This is where I plan on posting stories, updates, etc., for friends and family and whoever else might be interested in Our Little Family's Adventures in Japan.

19 September 2005

Regional Specialties

Utah is famous for Mormons, good skiing, its mountains and desert rocks, but as for food... yeah, we eat it, and my mom can make a heck of a potato salad, but it doesn't go much deeper than that.

In Japan, every prefecture, down to every villiage, has a specialty it is known for. For instance, at the store, the best and most expensive milk comes from Hokkaido. Nagano prefecture is famous for its horse meat, Nagano city for apples, Kawanakajima-machi (suburb) for grapes, and Wakaba-cho (subdivision) for peaches.

So, strangely enough, these often are told me when I give my address. Anyhow, it seems to be true; milk from Hokkaido does taste better, and I have eaten about a dozen locally grown peaches that were to die for. Here is a pic of the biggest, sweetest grapes I've ever had.

Spencer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home